Long Covid article

Home Forums Restricted content Long Covid article

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bkennedybkennedy
    Participant

I read an article recently that I unfortunately can no longer find, and wondering if anyone knows of it. It was about extensive testing for long Covid all coming out normal. I thought it was part of the NIH longitudinal study. There was a statement that was something like ‘we did every test we could possibly think of and they were all normal’. I can’t seem to find the article again unfortunately! Let me know if anyone knows of it. Thanks.

bkennedybkennedy
    Participant

I found the article if anyone is interested: https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M21-4905

abatsonabatson

Unfortunately, most studies to date are lumping all “long-haulers” into one category, as if they are all the same demographic/population, thus the results are confounded.
    When we talk about “long-COVID”, it is important to distinguish those who had severe initial illness (hospitalized, ICU stays, intubation, etc) vs. those who has mild initial illness (never hospitalized, only tested positive).
    For those with “Long-COVID with mild initial illness” – shall we refer to them as “LONG COVID-MII”? – there is no biologic evidence for end organ damage, they have normal 02 saturations despite subjective reports of shortness of breath, studies are showing they are mostly white, middle to upper income, and younger than 40 years of age. Of course, studies showed those with COVID who got the sickest were people of color, poor and older/elderly. They have many symptoms consistent with an overly activated sympathetic nervous system and many are also diagnosed with POTS, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia – other psychophysiologic conditions. They also often have PTSD, anxiety disorders and depression.

hschubinerhschubiner

Thanks Becca and Alicia. I just happened to speak to Paul Garner today and he told me about his story of getting long haul COVID and then recovering from it. He’s a great guy, now totally immersed in the mind-body connection and predictive processing world. There was an article that just came out in a local paper in Liverpool about him, detailing that he even got death threats a few people in the CFS activist community who were unhappy with him publicizing his recovery.
    Best, Howard

Lilia Graue, MDLilia Graue, MD
    Participant

Thanks so much for sharing this article, Becca.

I appreciate your remarks regarding the lumping together and confounding of results, Alicia.

And Howard, Paul Garner’s story is fascinating, and I’m always struck by people’s intense reactions to it in the comment section.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.