Connecting with others doing group medical visits/groups/classes/similar work

Home Forums Restricted content Connecting with others doing group medical visits/groups/classes/similar work

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jtakahashijtakahashi
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m sorry to be so late in the game to contribute to the self-introduction discussion thread! I can do a brief self-intro here for those I haven’t already met, and I have a question I wanted to ask the group, about group medical visits (GMVs).

My name is Jonathan Takahashi. I’m a family medicine physician, and faculty at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, and UW Osher Center for Integrative Health in Madison, WI. In our academic health system, my work currently includes being a primary care physician, seeing patients in the Integrative Health Consult Clinic on referral basis, and teaching medical students and residents. In the Integrative Health Consult Clinic, we receive referrals from across the health system and around the state. As you might imagine, most cases referred to us involve neuroplastic/neural circuit/psychophysiologic symptom condition(s), either as the main reason for referral, or as part of the clinical picture. I have been a student and practitioner of mind-body medicine for many years. I first heard Howard speak during a virtual guest lecture in 2021. Since then, I’ve been doing as much as I can to learn from Howard and the other leaders in the field. It’s been exciting to integrate this framework and treatment approach into my practice, both in the integrative health consult clinic, and in primary care, where the appointments are substantially shorter in length, but we see these types of conditions every day.

I am currently in the process of developing/planning a Healing Chronic Pain “group medical visit (GMV)” model (also referred to as a “shared medical visit”) to pilot here in our health system, in order to offer PRT/EAET/other mind-body medicine techniques in a longitudinal, group format for patients. For those who aren’t familiar with the concept, GMVs are basically a way that we can structure appointments to allow a longer period of time with patients (e.g. 1.5-2 hrs typically) in a group setting, while having it still be billed/covered to the extent possible under health insurance, with the aim of also increasing access to care. My plan is to gather some basic data in the process, and hopefully build on this pilot to further increase awareness and expand this work in our health system.

I wanted to reach out and ask if anyone has been doing GMVs, or a similar group/class with patients already – or knows of anyone who is doing or planning similar work. I would love to meet/talk/collaborate/exchange ideas! You can contact me via email at jtakahashi@wisc.edu or Jonathan.takahashi@gmail.com

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 8 months ago by jtakahashijtakahashi.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.