Reply To: Seventy year old woman with Neurologic symptoms

Home Forums Restricted content Seventy year old woman with Neurologic symptoms Reply To: Seventy year old woman with Neurologic symptoms

abatsonabatson

I like that you encouraged her to think about it. Sometimes, a patient will come back 1-2 visits later with an “ah-ha!” moment of realization. Also, so many times, they aren’t really sure if the stressor “counts” as a stressor. They will minimize, laugh about it, make a sarcastic statement or put themselves down – all clues that there is something deeper or something they feel uncomfortable with. Today, a patient told me his childhood was great, not stressors however, by the end it came to light that his parents NEVER hugged him or his sister or said I love you until 3 months ago (he is 44 years old!). He laughed about it. He has an adult pattern of having relationships with women with whom he “can’t see the red flags”. He doesn’t understand what normal affection looks like, sounds like or feels like. That is a very different example compared to what you were talking about, but I just bring it up to show how complex these memory associations can be.